Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Why Four?

This is a question I got a lot yesterday. It's a very valid question that I have no problem answering. Four embryos does seem like a lot to transfer, so I'll explain the reason we did it. First off, if you don't know a lot about IVF about half of the embryos arrest(stop growing) between day 3 and day 5. So with doing a day 3 transfer there is more unknown about the potential for them to become a baby. Also, last cycle all our embryos, but 1 arrested between day 3 and day 5. Our doctor felt our risk of high order multiples(3 or more)is extremely low(1% or less) given our history. He felt comfortable with this, so me and Tim did as well. It's one of those situations where you have to weigh the risk/benefit ratio. Is this a good risk for someone that's it's there first cycle? No. But for us with known egg and sperm quality issues, we felt it was a risk worth taking.
I am already driving myself crazy wondering if this is going to work or not, it's going to be a long 11 days!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Embryo Transfer Today!

I am back resting at the hotel after our embryo transfer, and Tim is catching up on some work. The transfer went very well, it was easy and painless. We transferred 4-8 cell embryos! 3 were grade 1 (perfect) and 1 was grade 2(good). We still have 9 growing in the lab, so we'll see if any make it to freeze! Our office only freezes high quality day 5 blasts, so we'll see! Our beta is 4/10, so the wait begins! Here's a pic of our embryos Tim took with his phone, and one of me right after the transfer!

Monday, March 29, 2010

Day 2 update

I called the nurse this morning because the doctor said it is up to us weather we do a 3 or 5 day transfer. I wanted to ask wheather we'd be given the quality grade and how they'd help us make this decision. The nurse was so helpful and we may end up heading to Spokane tomorrow to prepare for a transfer, but still may end up waiting until day 5 depending on what the doctor and embryologist think. Well, some great news we have 10 embryos that are already at 4 cells! They like to see them at at least 2 cells by the morning of day 2! So we have 10 that are growing very well! They usually don't give a report on day 2, but since she had me on the phone she let me know. This cycle is already going better! So, now we just have to wait and see what happens tomorrow and decide what we want to do. Last time we lost all our embryos but 1 between day 3 and 5, so we are scared of that happening again. I'm freaking out a little, this is really the most stressful part to me! But for now I'm so happy and thankful for what we have, and already feel a bit attatched to our little embryos. Here's a picture of a high quality 4 cell embryo I found online. Hope this is what they look like right now!

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Egg retrieval

Well I had my egg retrieval yesterday and they got 16 eggs! Last night I was so sore and took quite a few of my Tylenol #3's. I went to bed really early and woke up to a fabulous phone call. Out of the 16 eggs 15 were mature and 14 fertilized! We are so happy! Already this is going better than last cycle! (last time we had 13 mature eggs and 8 fertilize). Now we just have to wait to hear how they are developing on Tuesday! Waiting to hear is the hard part because it's completely out of our hands. But for now we have 14 fertilized eggs sitting in a petri dish in an incubator in Spokane :D This picture is what they look like right now!

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Triggering tonight!

Got the call from the nurse a little awhile ago and I'm ready to trigger tonight! My e2 was 2000, she said that was great. I trigger at 12:30am so I'll be sure to set our alarm. I'm so happy to not have any more tummy shots! Not sure why but I have bruised worse this cycle than last. I go in tomorrow morning for u/s and labs then the egg retrieval is Saturday. I'm so anxious to know how many eggs we'll have! This is the hard part!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I'm slow

The cyst is here to stay, but since it's not crowding out the other follicles he said they're going to leave it. Fine by me. I'm happy to avoid getting that drained! We went through some drama before that was decided, they thought I'd get canceled or end up with a very low number of eggs. We paid for 3 cycles so I really didn't want to waste a cycle if we were only going to get a few. I was so incredibly stressed and felt like throwing in the towel with this cycle. I really just wanted a re-do. Of course I did way to much google-ing on cysts that produce estrogen, and freaked out when I kept reading over and over that most doctors wait to start cycles until after these cysts have been absorbed. It's really hard sometimes, but I just have to remember to trust them and know that they really do have my best interests at heart. Those poor nurses, they've all seen me cry...Well I'm sure it's not the first time a patient has cried to them.
Things are progressing well, I'm just a couple days behind. I'm always a little slow at these things it seems. I have at least 6 follicles on each side. The largest measure between 15-17. He likes to see them around 20 by trigger. I am still on 150 of FSH, 1 vial of menopur, and 1 ganirelix every night.
I am feeling good as long as I don't try and do too much. My poor belly is covered with track marks and bruises. It's getting tough to find a clear path for the shots. They're starting to hurt more, but I know there's just a couple days left now.
I got back on Thursday and I hope I'm ready to trigger that night!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Stims day 5

Yesterday morning I had u/s and labs done. This big follicle (they are calling it a cyst) they said there's probably no egg in there, it is getting bigger. They are definitly going to aspirte it on Friday. They didn't do it yesterday, because he said it'll be easier if we let it get a little bigger. I'm am ALL for easier and a less painful procedure! But, because of it they already want we to start ganirelix tonight (this stops premature ovulation). I just hope everything goes okay tomorrow and they can drain that stupid cyst, and move on with the cycle. That thing is just being a pain in the ass right now!
So far I'm feeling okay a little woozy and very tired, but nothing that isn't tolerable. I tried to go for a walk and that failed, I got too far away and felt awful and had to take a long break before coming back...I shoud've known better.
We are doing a day trip tomorrow, then coming up on Saturday and staying in a hotel until after the egg retrieval. We found this great place last cycle that has medical rates of only $54/night and takes pets! I am so thankful that Tim works in IT and can work remotly. We are also bringing our dog Maggie again which is great:D

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Started Stims tonight!

First off, it is well worth the money to stay in a hotel when we drive over to Spokane. We stayed with our sister in law at her apartment and ALL night we listened to her drug addict neighbour screaming at her boyfriend. It was on and off every 20 minutes. Then this morning when we were leaving for the doctor, she was outside in her underwear yelling for him to give her her pants. I have no idea how she puts up with this everyday!
Anyway...went in for baseline labs and ultrasound and I had 20 atrial follicles (small undeveloped follicles). I was so happy with this, last time I only had 3 on each side! When the nurse called me later she said I had a larger follicle developing that shouldn't be yet. My estrogen was a little higher than they'd like because the follicle is producing hormones. They said I'm at a higher risk of a premature LH surge (all the eggs prematurely releasing-VERY bad). On Wednesday when I go back for the first follie check they may have to aspirate it. I've never had this done, but it doesn't sound very pleasant! It would be ultrasound guided and they basically suck it out with a needle. I'm a little worried, and hope this doesn't become a problem! I'd hate to get this far just to get canceled. Well, I'm on a much lower dose of meds than they thought because of my high Areal follicle count. So tonight we did 150 units of FSH and a vial of Menapur (which stings like a sob).
I'm hoping for the best on Wednesday! I'd like to avoid the aspiration if at all possible!

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Quick Update

I start injections Sunday! I cannot believe it has come so fast! I'm excited (I think). I'm not so nervous this time, because I am no longer afraid of the shots! I go to Spokane on Sunday morning for ultrasound and labs, then if everything looks good we can get going! I was thinking about it, as a joke maybe I should get Tim a nurse costume?? hmmmm I'll think about that one!